Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Happy Communist Takeover Day

The past two weeks have been crazy. The last week of September was hell. I got sick and was barely able to do anything, then it is the week before the CCP takeover of the government's anniversary (October first) and we get 5 days off in celebration of that, but wait it also falls on the Mid Autumn Day festival which is done by the lunar calendar and so it changes every year. The effect of this is that my school made me make up a day of class on the Sunday before the last week of September, making me work 4 12 hour days in a row! A sick person should not be forced to do that.
N. Korea celebrates the Mid Autumn Day as well so my friend Adrienne who lives in Korea came to visit. She is hating working in Korea and really wanted to leave the country for a bit. We hung out for a few days, but her break was shorter than mine and she went home yesterday. I showed her around town and we went to the lake several times. Hangzhou is the biggest tourist city in China. It was crazy at the lake. That is why we went several times. I took her in the morning and it was crazy so we left. I took her in the afternoon and it was crazy so...you get the idea. I also found a chain of restaurants that I love. I don't know what they are called, but they have the word Halal written in Arabic on their sign and pictures. Pictures are awesome and Halal food means no pork, and a little beef is a great change every once in a while. It is also around 5-10 quai for a meal-that is between .$80 and about $1.50-but the food is great. Food in China is CHEAP (as long as you go to local restaurants and markets, the supermarket or a western style restaurant or any chinese cafeteria is pretty pricey).
I need to post some pictures soon, don't I?
I have a part time job I need to go to in a few minutes so I will post pictures, and more of my life story later.